Total Pageviews

Thursday, December 4, 2014

Book Review: Am I Pretty?

Book Review:


Purchase this book here! Am I Pretty?


     Am I Pretty? is a book written by Lindsey Jensen Berke and illustrated by Susan Shorter.  I found this book to be an enjoyable read with a really good message for children about the real meaning of the word pretty.  It is so important for young children to know and understand that beauty is not only on the surface, but rather it is who you are on the inside that determines their beauty.  This picture book is clearly aimed at a young audience, but I found that any age can appreciate the message it conveys.  My young elementary children enjoyed the story and illustrations and the message led to a meaningful follow up conversation.  This book would be great in classrooms and would make a wonderful teaching tool for educators.  The only thing I would have liked to see differently, is I would like to have seen the interaction with Julia's classmates to have been resolved, possibly with Julia returning to school and teaching her classmates what she learned from her mom.  Other than that I thought it was a great picture book! Rating 4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment