Total Pageviews

Tuesday, December 2, 2014

Writer's Workshop: My Friend

Dear Future Self,
     Before you decide you need another guy to call your best friend, look around you.  You have a wonderful husband, a beautiful family that always keeps you busy, and your life is full of amazing people that are there for you when you really need them.  You do not need another guy in your life who will break down your protective walls only to leave you heartbroken in the end.  You are not 16 anymore.  Your life need not be wrapped up in changing yourself to be "good enough" to be deemed someone's friend.  You are good enough just the way you are.  You care more than just about anyone, almost to the point of being a detriment to yourself.  You have the honest desire to help those that you care about in order to help them find happiness.  You deserve happiness too.  You are smart and full of wit.  Someone who need not define themselves in another human being other than yourself.  It is time to move on from the past.  Seek out what you need from those around you that care enough to stick around even when you are not perfect.  It is ok to make mistakes.  It is ok to need people.  It is ok to ask for help.  It is even ok to take time off and go to book club, even when you are behind on your work!  It is ok to be yourself.  Some may not like you for who you are.  That is ok.  But many people will.  Be yourself, and eventually you will find those that will be begging to ask, "Will you be my friend?"  



Mama’s Losin’ It

6 comments:

  1. Well said, past self! Did your future self listen?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I dunno yet! I will have to remind myself to go back and read this the next time. :)

      Delete
  2. Good advice..... "Be yourself, and eventually you will find those that will be begging to ask, "Will you be my friend?"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I try to remind myself because I think it is the hardest lesson for me to learn. I make this mistake time and time again. Hopefully this time it will be different!

      Delete
  3. This advice is too good to keep to your-(past and future)self! All women could benefit from reading this from time to time. ~may@Achieving Clarity

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never really thought to look at it that way! It is so nice to see that maybe my words are worth sharing with others. Thank you for this. It means more than you know :)

      Delete